19 April 2010

New Flash Games development job

Totally unexpected opportunity knocked on my door few days ago and I'm still thinking if I should take it or not. A friend of a friend of a friend of mine offered me to make few small Flash games for kids. He is into publishing business, mostly educational books for children under 7-8 years old and they want to expand to multimedia educational games. My job would be coding and animating since they already have ideas and graphics ready.

I found inspiration via these Flash educational games links, lots of interesting examples are available. Just recently I have started to learn more about Flash Games development and this call came just on time, but I'm still not sure if I could pull it off. I have explained them about my short experience in subject but after they looked at this blog, they are more confident in me then myself.

Do you have any experience in the subject or/and can point me to some examples? Thanks.

*_*

4 comments:

Flash Of Scarlet said...

Hi. First up, Congrats! I used to be in a company (http://www.sherston.com/) that built CBTs and WBTs. It is really an exciting job. In my experience, smaller kids love color and love a lot of interactivity. especially mouse based. The Bigger ones like a bit more puzzle types.

Steven said...

I haven't done many games, but with the ones I have done, I've learned so much about performance optimization. A great resource for me has been:

AS3 Data Structures For Game Developers (AS3DS)
http://lab.polygonal.de/ds/

The library is now provided in Haxe format, but I still use the AS3 version which is still available. From this library, I learned a lot about 2 and 3-dimensional arrays, setting up graphs, and pathfinding.

I would look at the examples on this page and get the code and figure out how it's done. Very powerful library:
http://lab.polygonal.de/2007/06/13/data-structures-example-the-graph-class/

The A* Pathfinder Graph is my favorite.

Hope this helps!

Steve

flanture said...

@FlashOfScarlet
@Steven
thanks, I appreciate your links and comments :)

latoya shuck said...

Flash is right. Use colors and animations for kids under 4, puzzles etc for kids 7+, and a combination for kids in between! You're going to like game development, I sure do.

 

template by blogger templates