28 July 2007

Favorite ActionScript version?

ActionScript3.0 is relatively new, I know, but how many people have decided to use only that version? My most used version is ActionScript2.0, but I'm learning new version. Differences are big enough to keep me with previous version at least for one more year and that's maybe, 'cause I really like 2.0.

I'm trying to find out a little about this question and I figured that best thing to do is look at popular forum statistics and number of threads within different categories. I think this can really show what is reality in using ActionScript. Here are results.

My first reference is Kirupa forum since I'm regular there. Kirupa has two categories AS1/AS2 and AS3.

- AS1/AS2 = 37,722 threads ( 97,09 %)
- AS3 = 1,128 threads ( 2,91 %)

From this I can't get difference between AS1 and AS2, so I visited ActionScript.org. Results are:

- AS1 = 35,727 threads (40,38 %)
- AS2 = 51,123 threads (57,79 %)
- AS3 = 1,619 threads (1,83 %)

You can notice that results for both forums on AS1+AS2 are similar and this could indicate that this is credible statistics. Interesting. Is this showing that gap between AS2 and AS3 is just too big?

What about you, what version do you use? You can give your vote on sidebar poll. Thanks.

3 comments:

5566 said...

Your data collection is a bit wrong. You can't tell the popularity based on the number of threads in forums,one very obvious reason is because AS1.0 and AS2.0 forums are there for years but AS3.0 forums are just about 2 years.

I agree with your conclusion that a lot people use AS2.0 compared to AS1.0 and AS3.0. But the conclusion shouldn't drawn based on your theory.

But one more thing is that lots of people think they are coding in AS2.0 but they still use stuff like tellTarget and etc.

flanture said...

Hi and thanks for comment,

I know that AS3.0 is new, that is what I wrote in my post, however, that's why I started my poll.

Maybe I should use number of forum threads from date AS3.0 has appeared?
In this way every version will have same opportunity to be most used.

Flanture

kirupa said...

Hi Flanture!
Interesting analysis, though I think you are narrowing your sample by focusing exclusively on the forums of kirupa.com and AS.org. With regards to the kirupa.com forums and their coverage of AS3 topics, it is a chicken/egg situation.

The kirupa.com content, which draws most of the users to the forums, is still largely focused on ActionScript 2. Unless there really is more AS3 content, there is a good chance there will not be more AS3-related questions.

Content on the site, though, is largely fed from questions posted on the forums. Without sufficient AS3-related questions, it is tough for me to focus on writing AS3 content when AS2 questions dominate and require further elaboration in article form.

But, I also feel that AS3 adoption is slow is because it left a lot of designers behind. Developers jumped at AS3, for many of them liked its familiarity with more modern programming languages.

Designers rarely wrote application-level code, so AS1/AS2 with all of their faults was good enough for them. Unlike the transition from AS1->AS2 where where applications could be written using a mix of both AS1 and AS2, AS3 is all or nothing. You have to use the AS3 style/naming/syntax for all code if you want to use the new virtual machine and all of its goodies.

Cheers!
Kirupa :)

 

template by blogger templates